[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteorite fallen on a car in Franc

George Zay wrote:
<< Just stand outside and throw a rock at any car until you get it to catch
on
 >fire. The velocity will probably be somewhat close to that of a falling
 >meteorite....I think hell will freeze over before any fire starts? I'm very
 >suspicious about this whole story.

 >>Well, if it hit the fuel tank, that would do it. |=8)
 Steve Sutton >>
-----------------
How's it going to hit the fuel tank? most fuel tanks on cars that I ever seen
were under the car. A 3 lb meteorite isn't going to travel thru a metallic
car and still have any umph to do anything to a fuel tank. I'd be highly
surprised if it penetrated the roof of a car...yet along go thru the floor
board and thru a tank. Let's suppose it did go thru the gas tank...no
immediate explosion would occur either...not the proper oxygen to fuel
mixture present...not enough oxygen. it would have to drain out and and find
a hot source and catch the ground on fire underneath the car. it was a parked
car...maybe if just parked and the catalytic converter was still hot...maybe?
Too many maybe's that are not likelies.
George Zay