[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteorite falls in NY

Ron wrote;

>I remember seeing a report on TV about a meteorite that hit the trunk of a
>lady's car that was parked on her driveway.   I don't remember the details
>now but it was back east somewhere.   I believe it may have been New York
>State.

That was Peekskill, New York but I dont remember the year.  It is  one of
four or five meteorites that have been recovered AND whose orbital elements
were determined due to sufficient observations and/or photos.

 By the way Danbury, Connecticut seems to be ground zero for home impacts
by meteorites.  We had the Smithsonian Institution's caretaker of their
meteorite collection give a talk at our local astronomy club here last year
and related a story about a Danbury fireman who was reported to have
responded to two homes that were hit.  The first time it took him a while
to figure out what caused the hole in the roof.  The second time ten years
later he was a "seasoned" professional on such matters and deduced the
cause of the roof damage fairly quickly.

Pete
pgural@trg1.saic.com