[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) English 101

> From: Ron Rennie <astron@earthlinkdot net>
> We are splitting hairs but it is a meteor until it hits the car,
> then it becomes a meteorite AFTER it has hit the car.

Language is a funny thing, especially English.  So we have:

	I think that meteor will hit the car.  AND

	That car was hit by a meteorite.

But what is it at the instant of impact?  As in:

	Look, that car is being hit by a m_______.  Will it explode?

Any and all replies will be recycled into the bit-bucket. :-)

OB-METEOR: A while ago someone asked what my interest was in a picture
of Hale-Bopp and M31.  I'm fascinated by images with objects at
different distances.  I have a photo I took with an airplane trail, a
Perseid meteor trail, and a satellite trail, in addition to the stars
and milky way background.

Gregg Lobdell                             Voice: 206-234-0884
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group            Fax: 206-234-5775
Seattle, WA, USA                       InterNet: gml@atadot ca.boeing.com