[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteoroids vs. asteroids

At 06:10 PM 4/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I need one of the longest, outrageous but best definitions in the world
>of the difference between an Asteroid and a Meteor.

[Note: while still in space, it's called a meterOID, not a meteor!]

Those in the Know may have a better answer, Steve, but how about this: if
it makes a pretty light when it happens to intersect with earth, it's a
meteoroid. If it ends life as we know it, then it's an asteroid or comet. :)

Now if you were to ask how to define a comet vs. an asteroid, you'd have me
stumped (along with lots of scientists, I think!)

PS: By the way, for DIGEST readers who reply to messages on the list! Be
sure to change your subject line to match the message you're replying to!
If you just hit "REPLY", your subject line will have something not so
useful in it, like "Re: meteorobs-digest VI #436"...