[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) LM, football, soccer

Thanks for keeping up the questions, Debby! I'm guessing that there
are a lot of new subscribers on the list - or even old ones - who've
wanted to ask the same things...

At 07:55 PM 4/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Okay what is an LM?  I am 39 years old. I see meteors on occasion but I
>want to see a meteor shower.  Maybe I am misunderstanding what I read
>but I understand that some have up to 100 meteors an hour.

"LM" stands for "visual Limiting Magnitude"... It's just a way for an
individual to measure the faintest star they can see on a given night.
(Remember I mentioned that some people can see meteors as faint as
"magnitude 7"? In fact, people can see stationary stars down to even
magnitude 7.5 or lower!)

And if you're interested in why this "LM" is actually very important to
meteor observers, please ask! Otherwise, someone may tell you anyway... :)

Thanks also to Jim for his comments on fireballs - he's given you another
perspective on what they are and mean... Only one thing though: if American
Meteor Society supporters are like Packers fans, then I guess that would
make International Meteor Organization supporters more like World Cup nuts
than Bears fans! They may like football too, but there's something else
more international that they're also passionate about! ;>

Clear skies and smooth golf courses!
Lew