[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) LM, Debby, ZHR

Okay I'm curious why is LM important?

Debby

	Good question Debby (So far they've all been good!).
	The answer has to do with standardizing the data. Most times you will
hear quoted the ZHR (Zenithal Hourly Rate) for a shower. What is that? Well,
 it is the "Number of meteors that would be seen by an observer with a
limiting magnitude of +6.5, with no clouds in the sky, and with the radiant
at the zenith".
	Let's explain some of these terms. Limiting magnitude, as Lew has
stated, is the faintest star that can be seen, given the clarity of the sky,
 and/ or light pollution (man-made, solar or lunar)present. This is
important, because if the sky is not as clear, or is brighter, you will
miss many of the fainter meteors. Since (in most cases) there are about 2.5
to 3 times as many more meteors for each magnitude fainter, this becomes
quite significant. For example, you might see 1 magnitude zero meteor (as
Bright as Vega), then there should be 3 of mag +1, 9 of mag +2, 27 of mag
+3, 81 of mag +4, 243 of mag +5 and 729 of mag +6. If your skies are
limited to magnitude + 5, then you will see none of the +6, a very small
percentage of the +5's, a few of the +4, more of the +3, etc....and most of
the 0 magnitude meteors.
	So when adjusting the counted meteors to the standard level so they
can be compared worldwide, a correction is applied to the actual count,
based on your limiting magnitude. This allows all observations to be used
together.
	The other correction is for the radiant elevation. If the radiant
(where the meteors appear to come from) is at the zenith, directly overhead,
 you should theoretically be able to see them all. As the radiant position
becomes closer to the horizon, more will appear below your horizon, so
unless you have X-ray eyes and can peek through the earth, you won't see
them. In addition, down toward the horizon, you are looking through more
air, making the meteors fainter, and therefore harder to see. In fact, with
the radiant 30 degrees above the horizon, instead of directly overhead,
you'll only see about a third as many meteors.
	Of course, the cloud correction factor is pretty obvious...if any of
your field of view is blocked by clouds, you'll have a wee bit of trouble
seeing the ones behind them.
	The net effect of this, as well as human perception, is that unless
you meet these ideal standard conditions, you will almost always be seeing
less meteors than the standard corrected rate. And, by the way, the
standard is not just arbitrarily selected..dot it is used in further
calculations involving the mass density of the shower stream, timing of
peaks, timing of when the dust was ejected from the cometary source, and a
whole bunch of other fun stuff that makes our standardized observations
useful to the scientific community. If you're not interested in going that
far, it's always fun to watch, and it can be gratifying to understand some
of what you see. Remember as you gaze on comet Hale-Bopp, that that
beautiful dust tail you see is a meteor shower in the making! Unfortunately,
 it is not one that we will see, since our orbit does not intersect it's
path...but it's still fun to imagine plowing through that pile of
dust....ooooh I've gotta go take a cold shower now!
	There are many subtleties as far as the details of what I've said
above, but this isn't the official NJAA/NAMN/ALPO/IMO/AMS training course,
so I've simplified it to get across the basic concepts. Hope this answers
your question...if not, fire off another one!! As I've always said, I love
beginners questions!! It makes us clear up in our own minds why we do
things the way we do.
	And as we all know....METEOR OBSERVERS DO IT ALL NIGHT LONG

Wayne, and PS I'm 44 (physically that is , heh, hehe, hehe)