[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Showers

Debby wrote:

>I see meteors on occasion but I want to see a meteor shower.  Maybe I
>am misunderstanding what I read but I understand that some have up to
>100 meteors an hour.

There are meteor showers throughout the year, but if you live in an area
with a lot of light pollution, then you probably miss out on most of the
meteors which can be seen during these showers.  Here are some key dates
to mark on your calendar:

June 7 - Arietid and r Perseid showers
June 29 - B Taurid shower
August 12 - Perseid shower (the best one)
December 13 - Geminid shower

These are the dates at which the best showers of the year are at their
peaks.  To fully enjoy these showers, be sure to get as far away from
city and automobile lights as possible.  Also, the later in the evening
that you observe, the more meteors you'll see.  Observing about 90
minutes before dawn is recommended.

Steve Sutton
Springfield, GA
---
 ~ SLMR 2.1a ~ "I envy that structure." - Mystery Science Theater 3000