[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Lyrid peak time

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> Could someone please post the predicted UT range of the Lyrid maximum
for
> 1997?  I want to know if April 20/21 or 21/22 is favored for the
western U.S.

Wesley,

I would expect the Lyrids to peak at 0300 Universal Time on April 22
which would be 0800pm Pacific Daylight Time on the evening of the 21st.
Unfortunately for us on the west coast the radiant is below the horizon
at that time plus we have a full moon to contend with. The best rates
will occur during the last dark hour before morning twilight on the
morning of the 22nd. Do not expect to see more than 5 Lyrid meteors per
hour under these conditions.

Bob Lunsford

IMO/ALPO