[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-Debby

Debby,
        You mentioned wanting to see a meteor
shower.  Mark Davis publishes a list of the major
showers for the year, so you might want to ask
about getting a copy.  Also, if your local library
can get back issues of TIME Magazine, try to find
the one sometime in November or early December of
1966 with the article titled "Stars Fell on
Arizona" about the big Leonid meteor storm that
comes every (approximately) 33 years.  There were
thousands of meteors per hour.  This is a perfect
time to get started finding the neat places to be
to watch meteor showers so you can be ready for
the big one coming up in the next couple of years.

In the meantime, be sure you are out the night of
August 11/12 for the Perseids this year.  They are
generally best after 11:00 PM and into the early
morning.

I don't get a chance to get out much, but I'm
trying to borrow two of my grandsons for that
night to introduce them to the topic.  I took them
out for Hale-Bopp and they were fascinated.  They
are currently 8 and 11 years old.
                LaRue