[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Showers

Wayne,

I have been watching most of the threads, but I haven't been corresponding
much lately.

>I assume you've been busy finishing the book!

The book AND the comet have been taking up my personal time. Work and the
family take up all the rest. I sleep occasionally. :-)  I have been writing
and editing every night from about mid-March. I had more to do than I
thought I did in order to meet the April 30 deadline. We have also had a
drier spring than normal (no complaints), so Hale-Bopp gets an hour to an
hour and a half every observing/photography session. Sometimes both morning
and evening. You just never know when something really unexpected might
happen. The comet has also prompted a public interest and I gave four comet
presentations since March 14. I have another one tonight and one more next
Saturday, and then I'm done! I have been so tense for the last month, that
I feel the minute the manuscript is mailed off, I am going to sit down,
relax, and then proceed to just unravel all over the place. It won't be a
pretty site.  :-)

>Nice new front page on the Meteor page too!

Thanks! I sort of stopped in the middle of my changes. I hope to finish in
the near future. I am working on a new front page graphic in my spare time.

I am looking forward to the Eta Aquarids. Last year was a terrible year for
astronomy in the St. Louis area. My comet observations and meteor observing
were at my lowest since 1980. Considering I have already exceeded last
year's comet totals, I hope the meteor totals will increase as well!

Gary