[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Tektites in South Africa??????

Hi Boffins. (Clever dudes)
I had a call today from the department of water affairs.
Somehow he got my work number.
Apparently, someone in our suburb was awakened by a "shrieking sound"
and a hell of a thud.
They went outside and found a hole in their lawn and an object inside
still smoking. They took it out and asked their friend, who is a chemist
to have a look at it.
He gave it to their geological lab to look at it.
Apparently it is "gunmetal black/grey, stinks like plastic and
acetaline.
It is magnetic and conductive, and shows clear signs of "boiling".
I have not seen it yet, but it sounds like a tektite.
Question.
As far as I know, we are not in the "Tektite Belt" here in South Africa.
Can anyone please help regarding that.
I will take it to Prof Anton Le Roux at UCT to have it ID'd.
Chhers and SOS.

--
Bill Hollenbach     	Cederberg Observatory ah52@solo.pipex.co.za
http://aztec.co.za/exinet/travel/misc/cederobs.html