[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteoroids vs. asteroids

<< >I need one of the longest, outrageous but best definitions in the world
 >of the difference between an Asteroid and a Meteor.

OK here we go - if a little pebble is floating in its orbit in the vaccuum of
space its a meteoroid. When it hits the Earth's atmosphere and begins to burn
up its a meteor.  If the pebble was big enough to survive re-entry and hits
the ground its a meteorite.

The difference between an asteroid and a meteoroid, I believe, is size.
 Asteroids are rather LARGE pebbles in space. Some are large enough to be
full fledged moons if they were to orbit a planet. Meteoroids are tiny
pebble, dust grain sized objects.

Kevin