[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Ashcraft's audio tape update

April 19, 1997

I thought I would give you all an update on the radio meteor audio tape I
proposed last January.

When I began to assemble the accompanying text to the radio meteor
specimens as a "how to observe radio meteors" I saw that the potential text
would make a good written/pictorial article for SKY and TELESCOPE magazine.
I proposed an article to the editor who said it sounds good and he
forwarded my proposal to the Telescope Making section editor. I didn't hear
back for over a month and re-inquired to the editor who said he would talk
again to the Tel. Making editor.  Now it's nearly May and still no
response.

I thought about sending my article query to ASTRONOMY Magazine but I do not
believe they have the world circulation that SKY/TEL does. Though I respect
ASTRONOMY Magazine as well.

So in short, my whole project is side tracked and in suspension.  One would
think that they would gladly print a how-to article on building a radio
meteor telescope with step by step easy to follow pictorial guidance, parts
list, etc.

I will keep you posted if there is a change in status of this project. I
would go ahead and write the article but it is not a simple task to explain
forward scatter radio meteor observing. It is a convoluted technological
sort of observing method and the article will require great attention and
time to do it in the manner that is required of responsible scientific
meteor observing.

Hopefully this will still manifest.

Clear skies to all.

Thomas Ashcraft