[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) On international standards

Here are some more remarks regarding the discussion about
meteor observation standards:

The IMO standard has been developed over a number of years,
including experience from several observer groups in different
countries. So it is not an invention of the IMO, since the
basis of this standard was already in use when the IMO was founded.
A few points were modified or added later. This is a normal process
if you actively deal with the data and its analysis.

If you start an observing project to study a given phenomenon,
you need a method which can provide you with the necessary data.
Contrary to an industrial standard which may require compatibilty
to use older devices, a scientific project does not necessarily
need this backwards compatibilty. Of course, it is advised to
think about this as well, in order to allow earlier data being
included in the study after calibration. This is not a question
of being superior or inferior. If it sounds like that, I am sorry.
To my opinion it is just the evaluation of the most appropriate
method (as seen from the point of the project). In the case
of photographic meteor observations, for example, nobody would
require using older methods if high speed films and very fast
lenses are available.

Let me point out again, that there is no competition between
the IMO and national societies. May be this is less obvious for
the English speaking groups. But think of all the other observers
worldwide: any newcomer needs to get his/her training in her/his
mother tongue. We have quite some experience with a kind of
`barrier' when the correspondence happens in English. Also, the
individual observer prefers local contacts over long distant and
`anonymous' contacts. That's why the national and local groups
and societies are necessary. Without these, also the IMO would
not work well.

I completely agree with Jim Richardson when he expresses that
we are basically interested in the same phenomenon, and the
whole `administration' is only a part of the business to keep
things running and boring wiht it should not be the reason for
loosing interest in meteors.

Jurgen Rendtel
IMO President