[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) antennae

Hi, Tom. I remember you mentioning this $20 figure before, and I asked what
the specifics were on this cheap radio-meteors antenna? As a complete
radioneophyte (never even seen a Ham setup!), I understand the type of
antenna required is a "semi-directional" - I guess basically not circular
and not a whip.

I briefly spoke to a few radio equipment vendors around here, and heard
that most antennae of this type were only appropriate for a very narrow
band of FM spectrum: so before you bought one, you had to already know what
frequency would have the least amount of local noise, but still have an
appropriate transmitting station somewhere within the 200-500 km range...
In other words, you already had to have local radiometeor experience before
buying an antenna, unless you wanted to waste a lot of money!

This was the catch-22 that put me off buying a simple setup for radio
meteors myself. Is this pretty much true with all cheap antennae like you
mention?

Clear skies and airwaves,
Lew