[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) antennae

For all those who are interested in radio detection of meteors.  We are fortunate, at
least those who live in the USA, in that we have a ready made transmitters for us.
Apparently the FAA has established FM transmitters at almost every airport in the country.
They are used as navigational aids.  The signals are brodcasted straight up, which makes
sense if you are flying in a plane.  The only way one can detect these signals on thje
ground is if they happen to be reflected back towards us, as in the ionization trail of a
meteor.  These transmitters operate in the neighborhood of 75 MHz.  Detectors are not
ready-made, at least not relatively inexpensive ones.  However I believe Sky and Telescope
had plans for one.  The issue was several years ago and I do not recall which one it was ,
sorry,
Paul S.M. Curran
psmc@ix.screwspamdot netcom.com
remove the screwspam to reply by e-mail