[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Prairie Meteor Network

George wrote:
>Does anyone know where I can find info about the Prairie Meteor Network that
>was in operation between 1964 and 1975? A website, book, or personal
>knowledge about it would be appreciated...looking for info such as how many
>cameras used, locations...who operated the program etc.
>George Zay

        Sorry George, my memory has failed me.  The cameras used by the
Prairie Network were 6 inch focal length Aero Metrogons, not 12 inch fl.
For a reference see: Evolutionary and Physical Properties of Meteoroids -
NASA report, SP-319 - Paper: Photographic Fireball Networks by Ian Halliday
NRC Canada.  Here is a brief summary:

 Prairie Network: No. of Stations: 16  Station spacing: 250 km
                  No. cameras per station: 4
                  Focal length: 152 mm - film format: 9X9 inches

European Network: No. of stations: 46  Station spacing: 87 km
                  No. cameras per station: 1  (All-sky camera)
                  Focal length: 5.7 mm

MORP Network:     Number of stations: 12  Station spacing: 193 km
                  No.  cameras per station: 5
                  Focal length: 50 mm - film 70 mm roll

I haven't found the Sky & Tel reference but it will show up one day.

Ed

Edward Majden                         epmajden@mars.ark.com
1491 Burgess Road                     Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C.                       CCD's - P.E.P.
CANADA  V9N-5R8                       Amateur Astronomy