[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) antennae

Regarding radio meteor articles in SKY/TEL:

>>>...The issue Paul is refering to is March 1992, the article was titled
"Radio Waves from a Meteor" and even has a schematic for receiving
very-low-frequency radio waves.

Brian Glover...<<<

Hi Brian, Hi Paul,

The "Radio Waves from a Meteor " article concerns "possible" very low
frequency (VLF) and extremely low frequency (ELF)  radio receptions of
large meteors. If I remember correctly the article is a call to
experimenters to try to receive this sort of meteor emission. The author
believed he "may" have received one emission from a large Perseid fireball
but I don't know if he got further positive results.  It is a good article
but in general working radio meteors at very low frequency is problematic
due to the interference constraints of this part of the radio spectrum.
Yet VLF/ELF radio work is an area that calls out for much further
exploration by meteor observers.

There is another SKY/TEL article called "A Different Way To Observe the
Perseids" by Joe Lynch in the August 1992 issue, pp.222-225. This is a fine
article that discusses meteor reception using common FM radios and also
mentions the possibility of using common TVs as well.

Both articles are very useful.

Clear skies,
Thomas Ashcraft
New Mexico