[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ARCHIVE RESEND: (meteorobs) French "meteorite"

This was just posted on the meteorite list....I'm posting it here since there
were some discussions about it's authenticity....I think this kinda clinches
it.
George Zay
-----------

<<  Recently I have read two accounts in the local newspaper of a 1.5 kg
 basaltic meteorite that struck a car in the French Alpine town of
 Chambery and set the car on fire. The "meteorite" was even identified by
 scientists at a nearby university.
 	In order to verify this account for possible publication in Meteorite!,
 I contacted my mate Claude Perron of the Paris Museum. He told me that
 he had a piece of the alleged "meteorite" on his desk in front of him
 and that it was a piece of "combustible plastic". Sorry but another
 alien bites the dust.
 	 Joel Schiff