[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) antennae

PAUL WROTE:  >>>  I beleive the Navy uses ELF in order to communicate with
there subs.  The antennas used in this endeavor are quite large.  However
since the Navy broadcasts over this spectrum, it maybe possible to detect
these signals after they are reflected off a meteor train.  <<<

Paul and everyone,

Just to clarify a little. ( though please know that I am not an expert on
the subject. )

The commonest method of radio meteor observing is called "forward scatter"
and the meteor induced reception is the result of the meteor trail
reflecting a land based transmitter.  You're right, it is a very efficient
means of observing and doesn't require a dark sky.

By contrast, if one attempts to receive radio emissions from meteors at ELF
frequencies then the reception would come *directly* from the
electro-magnetic radiation caused by the meteor striking the atmosphere. No
reflecting transmitter needed.

The forward scatter method seems to be much more sensitive in that fine
meteoric particles can be detected well.    ELF meteor observing is
experimental at best.

I have attempted some ELF-meteor experiments myself and have negative
results. I do believe that ELF receptions may be possible though but they
may require larger fireballs to generate enough radiation to be detectable.
 I feel that ELF experimentation is worth pursuing as it may shed light on
the question of whether or not a human can "hear" or directly sense a
fireball. In certain instances, some humans can directly receive different
sorts of radio emissions including ELF events.

Clear skies,
Thomas Ashcraft