[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Prairie Meteor Network

Hello Lew:
        Your reading something into my comments that I did not intend.  If
your a computer wiz kid, why don't you get together with a mechanical person
on some sort of project.  You would be amazed at the end products some
people come up with.  That's why people join astronomy clubs.  There is
often someone in an organization willing to share his or her expertise.  You
may fail at doing something on the first few trys but eventually you will
get it right! No one is good at everything and I'm the first one to admit that.

Clear skies: Ed

PS: The Golden Age of Astronomy is today, not the 40's or 50's.  Electronics
such as computers and CCD's have given amateurs the tools professionals
didn't have a few years ago.

You wrote:

>Hi, Ed. Sorry to be way-way-off topic here, but I must repectfully say that
>that attitude irks me... I revere skilled ATMs a great deal. But the idea
>that only machinists and carpenters have the "spirit" of amateur astronomy,
>and if computer programmers or firemen want to get into the field, then
>they should have to MAKE themselves into machinists and carpenters, is silly.
>
>I have ten thumbs, and if I was living in the "Golden Age" of astronomy in
>the 40s and 50s, then I'd just simply NOT be able to be an amateur
>astronomer: and that would be no fun at all! Of course, there'd always be
>meteors...
>
>Lew Gramer, 30something mech-challenged "computer wizz kid" :)

Edward Majden                         epmajden@mars.ark.com
1491 Burgess Road                     Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C.                       CCD's - P.E.P.
CANADA  V9N-5R8                       Amateur Astronomy