[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Question

At 28 Apr 1997 10:56:49 THOMAS T WOJACK asked:

>I had a question-when we encounter enhanced meteor activity, meteor
>showers, don't we pass through a comet's tail(or asteroid 3200, I
>believe in the Geminids' case)?
>And suppose someone discovers a new meteor shower radiant.  Couldn't
>a new comet be discovered that way?

Most meteor showers are associated with comets, or as with 3200 Patheon, an
asteroid. Enhanced meteor activity is more likely to occur when near the
parent body. The parent body of many meteor showers is known, but there are
others that are unknown. It is possible, as is the case of meteor showers with
unknown parent bodies, to find the meteor shower before the parent body, which
may or may not be subsequently found.

GWG