[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) No Aquarids here....

Cathy Hall wrote:

> Hi Guys -
>
> Well, I had hopes for skies up here in the Great White North, now starting to
> look green out my window....  But it is socking in solid as I speak...
>
> It has been cloudy for days up here, but we actually got some blue skies today
> until late afternoon.  We're supposed to get rain again for another couple days,
> <perhaps> a brief break on Monday, then more cloud :(
>
> I think there must be some corollary to Murphy's Law that says "the state of the
> sky is inversely proportional to how prepared you are to go observing"... I even
> finished sewing together my "bodybag" for meteor observing ;), although I could
> have used it more back in the wintertime...  It is still parka-time up here
> though, and drops to close to freezing at night.  Some parts of Ontario got snow
> a couple days back.  It is warming up though - we hit about 17C (about 63F)
> about a week ago, and it felt positively <hot> !!
>
> Hope the rest of you get some Aquarid skies.... I'll be curled up here reading
> my Sky & Tel.... and keeping my fingers crossed for early next week!
>
> - Cathy
>   Great Cloudy North....

Hi All, Hi Cathy

I read your note, don't be disheartened, I planned a trip with 5 people
to our country property, and wouldn't you know it, its been pretty clear
all week, come the weekend, rain and cloudy on the big day....

Mabye I shouldn't have planned anything, and it would be clear.  Our
group has always found, last minute decisions always lead to clear skies
!!!

I was however, on the 1st on May, able to get in one hour of observing.
Hour 0:45 - 1:45 AEST (Australian Eastern Standard time)

Dir - NE
LM - +5.3

No Eta Aquariids seen, as it was a little early, I was clouded out after
this hour.  I was monitoring two lesser streams, Alpah Scorpiids and
Omega Centaurids.  No activity from these.

3rd mag - 3		White - 3
4th mag - 1		Yellow - 1

All Sporadic, not a great hour.

See Ya All, Adam.