[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re:May 4/5 Eta Aquarids good

At last the Eta Aquarids put on a good show.  The two complete hours 326-526
AM (726-926 UT) produced 9 and 22 Etas.  I can recall only 3 other times
that I have reached a rate of 20.  The interval 426-539 (726-939 UT) had 27
Etas.  Total time 2:24 hours, sky 7.2, 36 Eta Aquarids, 2 Mu Virginids, 2
Alpha Scorpiids, and 16 sporadics ; meteor total 56.  There were 24 Eta
trains , a pace of 2 out of 3 !  Most of the mag +3's and brighter were
trained, as well as two +4's and one +5.  The brightest Eta Aquarid was an
intense orange 0 with a terminal burst at -2m, and its train was 5 seconds.

Tomorrow will be interesting, to see if a back-to-back rate of 20+ can be
achieved for the first time.  Each of the other occasions was an isolated
occurrence amidst more normal rates in the mid-teens.

It was a surprisingly cold night for so late in the year, must have been
down to 60oF or slightly below.  All the haze and clouds were swept away.  A
few mosquitoes around also, beginning to hatch from the recent rains.

On the way out I was astonished to see a house built only 3 blocks from my
observing site.  Then upon leaving I saw another new house a few blocks
further away.   Didn't think anyone would come to live this far out of town.
The area has been completely vacant from the time it was opened up 9 years
ago, until now.  There is a second entrance to my site I better soon use to
keep people from getting freaked out.  Eventually I may have to pick another
spot a couple of miles closer in, where development hasn't hit yet.

Norman W. McLeod III
Visual Program Coordinator
American Meteor Society

Fort Myers, Florida