[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) May 7/8 Eta Aquarids; earth-grazers

Hi, Norman. Thanks for the regular reports of ETA activity from Down South!
New England has boasted exactly two clear mornings in the last two weeks -
and I had to sleep through both... x^*

At 05:07 PM 5/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I saw a fine earth-grazing Eta Aquarid at 304 EDT , an orange +2m with
>2-second train going 60 degrees in 3 seconds.  The radiant was on or barely
>above the horizon.  The next Eta did not come until 340 EDT, the usual time
>I had been seeing my first on earlier nights.

This brought a question to my mind... ("Uh oh", I hear the experienced
readers saying. :>) What is the maximum arclength you might expect from a
grazing meteor - i.e., one with the radiant at or just below the horizon?

Cloud-out Lew