[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) cool/warm fresh meteorites

<<
 > >...meteors are warm when they land...
 > On the contrary, meteors are cool when when they land.
 >
 > Jonathan

 Bill>>Space is Ice Cold. (-180 deg C)
 Friction causes heat. Heat gets transferred to the inside of a meteor.
 On landing, the heat goes the other way.
 So, logically, meteors are warm to the touch.<<

Bill,
It is my understanding that the heat caused from friction doesn't make it's
way to the inside of a meteor before it lands. The part that heats up (the
outside), is sloughed off as it encounters the atmosphere. After the heat
causing friction ceases, the rock is in free fall for a few minutes...no
longer heating the meteor up and what heat was on the outside is now being
cooled.  After it lands, the interior is still quite cold and the meteorite
will feel cool to the touch and at best warm.
George Lay