[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Elevation Estimates

  I think that the estimation of the elevation of a meteor is pretty easy.
Not to sound pious, but just a little extra notation into your tape recorder
about the approximate elevation of a meteor can change an apparent magnitude
into an absolute magnitude. For instance, three comparison points are always
there, and are spaced at a good distance from each other, the horizon 0 deg.,
Polaris at 40 deg. (from here), and Zenith at 90 degrees. The interpolation
between these points becomes easy with practice. No fancy theodolite required
for a resonable (+- 10 degrees) estimation. Just my 2 cents worth.

GWG