[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) cool/warm fresh meteorites

GeoZay@aol.com wrote:

> Bill,
> It is my understanding that the heat caused from friction doesn't make it's
> way to the inside of a meteor before it lands. The part that heats up (the
> outside), is sloughed off as it encounters the atmosphere. After the heat
> causing friction ceases, the rock is in free fall for a few minutes...no
> longer heating the meteor up and what heat was on the outside is now being
> cooled.  After it lands, the interior is still quite cold and the meteorite
> will feel cool to the touch and at best warm.
> George Lay

HI Geo,
Many reports I have read where people have been close to the actual
fall, have reported the meteors " warm to the touch when picked up"
(S&T, with the two kids playing , when the meteor fell in the shrubs
next to them.)
The two ladies on the beach in Australia, reported the same, when a
meteor fell on the beach 10ft away from them.
I suppose it has a lot to do with the flight and how deep it penetrates
the atmosphere.