[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Elevation Estimates

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all of you for getting a REAL meteor discussion going on,
something missing of late! ;)

Everyone has made good and valid points on this discussion. I tend to side
with the 'camp' that believes this is a question best left to the experience
of the observer. Sure, veteran observers can add another item to record, but
a first time observer would be better off noting only the very basics. Once
Wayne gets 'em hooked, then add the other data items. :-)  They will be more
receptive to adding the items once they become "serious' about observing.
This procedure should not cause a problem with monitoring minor showers, as
beginners normally concentrate on the major ones anyway.

I am hesitant of tales of finding or discovering new showers. Perhaps
"unusual" or "enhanced" activity, but to confirm a "new" shower requires
more than one observer and more than one year. A lot of plotting will have
to be done to expose the shower from the background....(a very interesting
project to pursue).

Anyway, this is my one cent worth [since some of this was already stated :)
]. I really just wanted to write the words "meteor shower"....... ;->>

Mark Davis
ALPO/IMO/NAMN