[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Elevations and More

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

George has brought up an interesting subject. I first read his point of
view and other comments last night around midnight. I was tempted to
respond quickly but I decided to sleep on it and give this subject and
my response some serious thought.

It would be great if every observer plotted and recorded every possible
detail concerning every meteor. Unfortunately this is not dealing with
reality. I feel it would be wise to classify each category as primary or
secondary. Primary data is the basics mentioned by Wayne and Lew. All of
the primary data is needed to provide a scientifically useful
observation. Secondary data is icing on the cake, not absolutely
necessary, but it definitely enhances the value of ones data.

I am assuming we all would know to include our name, date and observing
site.

Beyond name, date, and site the most primary category is the actual
observation: I saw 3 meteors

OK, but this by itself is of little use. Almost as important as the
actual event is a time factor: I saw 3 meteors between 11 and midnight.
OK now we are getting somewhere.

Lets extend this a bit further by applying shower association: I saw 1
Perseid and 2 sporadics between 11 and midnight.

We now have useful data but lack local conditions which allow the
comparison of different observations. To alleviate this, local
conditions must be included: I saw 1 Perseid and 2 sporadics between 11
and midnight with no clouds and a limiting magnitude of 5.0

We now have a scientifically useful observation that includes all of the
primary information: Name, Date, Location, Time Period, Meteors Seen and
Shower Association, Obstructions, and finally Limiting Magnitude. Of all
these categories "type" or "shower association" is the most difficult to
master. No one can get it 100% correct but familiarity of the subject
through reading and actual experience definitely reduces the error
factor.

SECONDARY DATA CATEGORIES (listed in order of importance)

Apparent Magnitude, Velocity, Train Phenomena, Time (to the nearest
minute), Center of View, Elevation of each meteor, Accuracy (DCV),
Length, Distance From Radiant,  and finally Color.

Of course this is only my opinion and subject to the "slings and arrows"
of other observers. During major showers time becomes more important as
intervals as small as 5 minutes may be analyzed (such as the case with
the 1995 Alpha Monocerotids). I know of no one who records all of the
data listed (including me).

Plotting may seem like a chore, but it actually provides the information
of three categories. Plotting meteor paths will provide the Elevation,
Length, and Distance From Radiant all in one shot. I would encourage
everyone to try their hand at plotting AFTER mastering the primary
categories and as many secondary categories as possible. To those who
plot now, remember that quality is much more important than quantity.
Inaccurate plots far away from the center of vision is not a good
practice and could provide misinformation.

My bottom line advice would be to master the primary categories and then
add as many secondary categories as possible including Meteor Elevation
without making the observation a chore. If meteor observing becomes a
chore then enjoyment soon disappears and you will lose interest as so
many promising observers have done so before.

I have said enough and I look forward to everyones comments.

Bob Lunsford

IMO/ALPO Regional Coordinator