[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) I new to this.

Hello everyone,

I just recently got into this meteor thing.  While I've been watching the
skies for years, I never really took an interest in astronomy, except in
passing.  You know, the occasional NOVA episode or a program on The Discovery
Channel or The Learning Channel.  I'm so out of it that I couldn't even spot
a constellation if I tried, except for Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, and Orion, but
they're pretty obvious.  The thing is, back on the night of March 12/13th, I
spotted a large fireball, which exploded over Ontario.  I wanted to report it
and did, but in the process I discovered how little I knew.  It was hard for
me to describe, except in very loose terms what I saw.  I couldn't give a
magnitude; I couldn't describe ,with any accuracy, what part of the sky my
sight of the object originated from; the duration of the sighting; the length
of the trail; or the part of the sky where the fireball exploded.  I wanted
to report it, but my lack of knowledge made my report, nearly worthless.
In the process of trying to find a place on the web to report the fireball, I
discovered this maillist and subscribed to it, hoping that I could learn from
it and be better prepared in the future.  Now, I find that my vacation is
fast approaching.  A time when I will be able to get out of the city and be
in the country where light pollution will not be a detriment to my sky
gazing.  My vacation begins on June 4th and lasts for one week.  From reading
the list, I find that there is going to be this shower going on during that
time: the Saggitarids.  Can anyone give me pointers, because, weather
permitting, I'm going to be out there looking every night.

                                                                    Bob
Metzger

P.S.  I live in Western New York.