[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) I new to this.

Welcome, Bob
	Since you're leaving so soon, let me throw out my 2 cents. The
Sagittarids appear to radiate from the constellation Sagittarius, the
archer. Since you don't know how to find it, I'll try and describe what to
look for. You will find it low on the eastern Horizon after midnight. The
brightest object by far over there is Jupiter, which rises after SAG (I'm
going to abbreviate Sagittarius as SAG, since it's too much to type.)
If you can see it, then SAG is above and to the right. It's often described
as a teapot, I'll try and draw a picture below. Further to the right and
above is Scorpio, which has a bright red star. (Jupiter is much brighter,
and white). The SAG meteors come from a wide area, so if you can trace the
meteors path backwards, past where it started to glow, and that path
crosses the general area, it may well be one. These are medium slow meteors,
 but of course, until you've seen a lot of meteors, fast and slow, that
doesn't mean much.
At best, unfortunatly you might see 3 or 4 SAG's an hour,  since this is a
weak shower. The Perseids in August are much more fun to watch, but if you
can get out there to look, why not watch for a while. Tell us what you see,
and we'll help you learn! I assume you're from Ontario, since that's where
you saw the meteor (PS did you hear a Boom several minutes later ?),
perhaps our protector of the Great White North, Cathy,  can get you to join
a meteor watch later in the summer.
	If you want to learn about meteors just by lurking here that would be
fine....if you'd like more information, such as the NAMN Guide, just let us
know, and Mark will be happy to send it to you.
Feel free to ask any meteor questions here, and you can e-mail me directly
as well if you wish.
	Good luck! and here's my ascii map of Sagittarius: Can you see a
teapot???
:->

                       *
      *