[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hawaii Jobs

Several people wanted to know more about the following, so what follows are
EXCERPTS and contact points for these positions:

FACILITIES TECHNICIAN

National Astronomical Observatory of Japan.  Responsible for maintenance of
facilities on the summit of Mauna Kea and support facilities in Hilo.
Requires: H.S. Diploma, formal tech. training, 5 years exp. in a large
facility.  Journeyman-level skills in electrical work, knowledge of
computers, plumbing, HVAC, waste management & safety.  Ability to operate a
crane & crane carrying truck.  Min salary $2592/mo.

Send resume with ID# (this is #171) salary history, names and phones of 3
work references, and copies of certificates to:

Dir. of Human Resources
Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii
2530 Dole St., Sakamaki Hall D-100
Honolulu, HI 96822

Inquiries:  Tetsuo Nishimura, 808-934-5085  Closes 6/2/97.

ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN

The Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope Corporation which operates a 3.6 meter
astronomical telescope on Mauna Kea, has an opening for an electronics
technician experienced in the operation, maintenance and design of
electronic and electro-mechanical systems.  Duties include: design,
construction, installation, testing, calibration, troubleshooting and
maintenance, and user support of electro-mechanical systems.  The same for
the networked PC system controlling all this.  Requires: BSEE, four years
experience, proficient with test equipment, experience providing system
manager and repair services to networked PCs.  Desirable:  knowledge of
closed-loop servo control and programming for control of electro-mechanical
devices; CAD; astronomical instrumentation.

Salary commensurate with qualifications.

Inquiries, or detailed resume to:

CFHT Corp.,
Attn.  Electronics Tecnician
P.O. Box 1597
Kamuela, HI 96743

Closes: 2 June.
One more that I overlooked:

UH HALEAKALA HIGH ALTITUDE SITE SUPERINTENDANT

Located at Kula, Maui.  Responsible for the overall management of activities
within the Institute for Astronomy's Haleakala High Altitude Site, support
facilities in Kula, the Kihei High Tech Park on the island of Maui, and
reserach facilities at the Haleakala Observatory...

Requires:  4 year degree in engineering and 8 years of progressively
responsible experience in managing a technical observatory installation, or
equivalent.

Pay Range: P15, $4682/mo.

Inquiries and application form:  Michele Tom, 808-956-7593.  Closes 6/24
NOTE:  I take no responsibility for ANY of the above.  I'm just relaying a
little of what I saw in the Sunday paper in response to some requests.
Though I am a part-time employee of RCUH, I have no inside knowledge of the
RCUH position above, and I wouldn't even know who to ask.

Aloha,

Jim Bedient
American Meteor Society
Honolulu, Hawaii