[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RASC list

Conrad et al -

>Also I would like to know what`s a RASC list.
>Conrad (Amatuer Astronomer)
Donwon1@juno.com

R.A.S.C. stands for Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.  We have over 3000
members, in 23 centres across the country, with both amateur and professional
astronomers.

The "RASClist" is our e-mail list, just like meteorobs is an e-mail list.  As I
am a member of both lists, I sometimes "cross-post" items that I think may be of
interest to the other list members, such as fireball sightings, etc.

For more information on the RASC, check out our National web site at:
http://apwww.stmarysdot ca/rasc/nat
It has links to the various centres across Canada.

Benefits of membership include the RASC Handbook (a wonderful yearly reference
guide), the bimonthly Journal (where that recent meteorite article was), and,
for this year, a subscription to the magazine "SkyNews".  If you join a local
centre, such as Kingston (and you don't have to live in Canada to join a
centre!), then you also get the centre newsletter... ours is called "Regulus".

For more information - if anyone out there is interested in joining us - contact
Kim Hay at:
kimhay@adan.kingstondot net

Kingston is also hosting the annual convention for the RASC this year, on the
July 1st weekend (June 27 to July 1).   Guest speakers will include Gene
Shoemaker (on impacts), David Levy (on comets), Martin Duncan (on Kuiper Belt
research), as well as other noted speakers on other topics.  Tours will include
the Holleford Meteor Crater.  For more information on the weekend activities and
program, check out our General Assembly web site at:
http://www1.kingstondot net/~rasc/ga.htm

- Cathy Hall
  RASC Kingston Centre