[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Ontario observing...

Bob -

Wayne wrote:
>I assume you're from Ontario, since that's where you saw the meteor (PS did you
hear a Boom several minutes later ?), perhaps our protector of the Great White
North, Cathy,  can get you to join a meteor watch later in the summer.

Bob, I think at the end of your message, you said you lived in western New York
State?  You should check to see if there is an astronomy club in a city near
you.  Both Astronomy and Sky & Telescope magazines do a list of clubs and events
each year.  If you don't have a copy of it, I'll look through a back issue for
you - what city are you closest to?

Wayne assumed you were in Ontario... mind you, if you want to come up to
Ontario... we have a super observing event, called "Starfest", being held this
year from August 7-10th, northwest of Toronto, Ontario, near a little place
called Mount Forest.  It is the biggest amateur observing get-together in
Canada!  Everybody brings scopes and observing gear, and some people do meteors
too! ;))  The skies are good, and seem to amaze Americans! ;)  It's held at a
huge campground called River Place, and has a <river>, swimming pool,
playground for kids, full shower and washroom facilities, and some food
facilities - in other words, lots of things to keep non-astronomical spouses and
families happy while you're observing...

There are talks on astronomy during the daytime, and observing at night.  We get
about 800-900 people there, from all over Canada and the States.  We have a huge
contingent of Americans that come up from Ohio, with lesser numbers from New
York, Florida, and the west coast.  Usually, anyone who comes - returns the
subsequent year with a batch of friends!!  Because it is a huge campground, many
people come earlier, or stay after the actual event itself, for the dark skies.

The event is run by the NYAA, North York Astronomical Association, of which I'm
a member.  It's based in Toronto, Ontario.  The speakers this year include Tom
Bopp, Terence Dickinson, Fred Espenak, Doug Welch, Phil Harrington, and Gregory
Terence, as well as informal talks by other people.  There are a lot of
commercial astronomical vendors, an excellent swap table, and usually some
informational displays by people (there was a good display on radio meteor work
last year!).

For information on it, contact Andreas Gada at:  nyaa@unicom.org  and he will
mail you a brochure, or check out our web page (with info and registration form)
at:

http://www.unicom.org/~nyaa/starfest/starfest.htm

So, if you're free, come on up!  The skies are good, the Perseids will be on....
(and if you need help finding a local club near you, let us know!).

- Cathy Hall
  Ottawa, Ontario