[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: nebulous meteors

> Thank you for posting this very interesting article. I have one question
> regarding the visibility fo these objects: would they be detectable at
> night from the surface in the visual range of the spectrum and could
> they be related to the "nebulous meteors" (large, diffuse) that many
> observers (myself included) have occasionally reported.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bob  Lunsford

> I too have seen these nebulous meteors, but they are rare, perhaps one in
100.
> I report them as 'trail like train' objects. They often look like a
snowball
> hitting a glass window at a glancing angle (for lack of another analogy),
and
> when they have color it is slightly green. Maybe, as Bob suggests, they
are
> the larger of these objects.
>
> GWG

For those of you who have never seen a "nebulous meteor" or "train like
train" object, download the MPEG movie at:

http://www.imodot net/video/vdemo2.html

To my experience these meteors rather appear at a rate of 1 in 1000
meteors.
It is important to know from the POLAR results that we have to look for
these phenomena in even higher parts of the atmosphere ! (600 miles high)

Marc de Lignie