[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NAMN Target Showers: June 1997

At 04:39 PM 6/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Mark,
>
>Being new to this, I found most of the information in this post,
>unfathomable.

Hi Bob,

Sorry about that, that was not its intention. But, since it has given me
your attention, let me answer your questions.... ;)

>Can you direct me to material that would help be better understand.

Sure can! There are several excellent guides available. Both the
International Meteor Organization (IMO) and the Assoc. of Lunar & Planetary
Observers (ALPO) have one. If interested, email me in private and I will
give you more details. In addition, there is an electronic guide available
from the North American Meteor Network (NAMN) which I make available free of
charge. Again, just drop me a request and I will send you a copy.

>What is a radiant? How does one use all that information about
>ascension and declination and so on to figure out where things are in the
>sky?

Right ascension and declination is a coordinate system used in the sky which
is similar to our latitude and longitude here on earth. With the specific
coordinates, you can locate the radiant, which is where the meteor(s) appear
to come from.

>How does one go about plotting the meteors that one spots?

There are basically two methods of visual observing -- "counting" and
"plotting." Of the two, counting is the easiest and is recommended for
someone just starting out observing. For that reason, I would recommend you
not worry about plotting at the moment. But plotting is really no more than
drawing a meteor's path onto a special star map.

>How does one know what the hell questions to ask so they can gather
information >that might be useful to someone?

You're doing pretty good already!! ;->>

>Oh well, any help you or anyone else may be willing to give would be greatly
>appreciated.

I will try to help you anyway I can...just let me know. You might also
consider joining NAMN in our meteor work. Let me know if you are interested.
I can also recommend both ALPO and IMO as other (more formal) groups to
join. I can also provide you more information on them if you need it, but
the ALPO Coordinator and the N. American Coordinator of the IMO is the same
person - Bob Lunsford. You can contact him at:    Lunro.IMO.USA@prodigy.com

Hope this has helped!, and clear skies!

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Awendaw, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network
Assistant Coordinator, ALPO Meteors Section
Visit the NAMN home page at:
	http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html