[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor beginners...

Bob -

I was reading the questions that you asked, and noting the replies that Wayne
and Mark have posted.

You are going on vacation shortly, I gather, and would like some info to get you
started!

Might I highly recommend a particular pocketbook - that can be found in most
bookstores across Canada and the States.  It's called "Stars" by Zim and Baker,
and is one of the pocketbooks in the "Golden Guide" series (they have pocket
guides on birds, plants, trees, stars!, etc...).  This is the very first
astronomy book I ever owned!!  It has wonderful star charts - easy to read, one
for each season, and circumpolar charts.  They are the very best constellation
maps I have <ever> found for learning the sky.

The pocketbook also has a section on observing meteors, and gives the basics.
(Note that the picture of the man observing in the lawnchair though, should show
him using just his eyes, <not> the binoculars, at least for beginners!!)  The
book lists the major showers, and where to look for them, and what to record.

Perhaps the most important thing, in my opinion, is to learn the sky first - and
learn it well.  Then, that gives you the basics for starting into meteors.  Then
you can get some star charts with RA and Dec (the sky's latitude and longitude,
as it were), and get the guys to send you some recording sheets (to write meteor
observations on).

Your timing is actually very good, as we are just starting the summer.  There
are major showers later in the summer (such as the Perseids in the middle of
August), but what you need now is just to <learn> the sky, and get out and see
what meteors look like.

So, when you're packing for your vacation, take the following:  a reclining
lawnchair, blanket or sleeping bag, insect repellant, flashlight with red
cellophane over the end (to read a star map and not wreck your eyes' dark
adaption) - and get yourself some beginning star maps, such as those I've
mentioned above!

By the way, where <are> you going on your vacation??  Maybe there might even be
an astronomy group near where you're going!

Hope these comments help....

- Cathy
  Ottawa, Ontario