[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) One more info resource for the newbie

Joseph Assmus wrote:

>         In addition to the previously mentioned (and essential) resources
>  (i.e.  IMO/NAMN/ALPO), I had found the AMS (American Meteor Society)
>  Bulletin No. 202 "Introduction to Visual Meteor Observing very helpful and
>  informative when I began formal observing a few years back. The WWW address
>  for this bulletin:  www.serve.com/meteors/ams202.html

Thank you Joseph.  I think that our AMS-202 is in need of an update,
especially with regard to cited major shower rates (recall the discussion
last February), but I am glad that it is still helpful.  I also think that
minor showers should now be listed as well.

A very new addition to our Web site which might also be helpful is our
"Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Meteors and Meteor Showers"
document.  We specifically designed this to answer the majority of common
questions asked by the general public and newcomers to meteor observing.
This includes questions about how to begin observing and what to expect (13
questions in all, beginning with "What is a meteor?" and progressing to a
discussion of the potential Leonid outburst.

The FAQ can be reached from the AMS Main Page, at
http://www.serve.com/meteors, or I will be happy to E-mail a copy to anyone
interested.

Jim Bedient is also putting the finishing touches on a companion FAQ about
"Fireballs and Meteorite Dropping Fireballs," which he will have up on the
Web site, and available for E-mail distribution soon.  I recently
distributed a draft of this document to members of the Meteorite maling
list for their review and comments (folks who know their meteoritics better
than I), and their reviews were favorable and helpful.  The final cut is
nearly ready.

Alright, enough of my plugging...Take care, everyone.

     Jim