[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: The wild claims about the hail of mini-comets

Daniel, I took the liberty of forwarding your message to the more general
'meteorobs' list: I'm sure there will be many responses! MY first response is
that there are a number of readers of meteorobs (and imo-news) who log SEVERAL
HUNDRED hours of controlled, dark-sky observing time each year - and they
report nothing unusual, OTHER THAN the occassional fireball! How does Dr. Frank
suggest that these mini-comet fireballs be distinguished from any other
fireball? Or does he propose that ALL fireballs are mini-comets?? This seems
somewhat ridiculous... Still, my final comment is that I think little is
actually KNOWN about the density, size, or composition of most of the
interplanetary matter in the solar system. It therefore may be possible that
many fireballs might actually BE loosely-bound blobs of ice & carbon.

Lew Gramer
owner-meteorobs@latrade.com