[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radiant Rising, No. 2, June 1997

At 06:22 PM 6/7/97 -0400, you wrote:
>RADIANT RISING                                      Number 2, June 1997

Mark, thanks for forwarding this newletter to me ( I assume you did, rather
than it being an automatic mailing of the list server?). As a matter of
fact, it happens that one of the authors of the paper, Ilkka Yrjola, is a
radio ham who has written some very useful software to allow extremely high
speed transmission of morse code by stations engaging in meteor scatter
operations. I have been using his software for several years in my own radio
meteor scatter operations, as have many, many others, particularly in Europe
where such high-speed morse code meteor scatter is hugely popular. As you
may be aware, Ilkka also has software that is customized for the visual
observer rather than for radio meteor scatter.

But I digress: The Jenniskens-Yrjola paper was at least the fourth time
within three years that I have seen any reference to actual concerns of the
earth being hit by a sizable space object. The first was by a former NASA
astronaut candidate with whom I used to work who pinged a couple of ideas
off me about building some sort of world-wide detection network for such
objects approaching the earth. I had some other feelers from several other
people that the guy's concerns were not only real, but a matter of deep
interest within official-NASA itself. But after leaving that employer, I
have not heard nor seen anything further on the subject until running across
something about a fireball that was discussed on, I think, one of Gary
Kronk's web pages from his book. And finally, there is this mention by Ilkka
about the subject.

SO: my question of the day to you is: have you heard, or seen, anything
official or even quasi-official on the subject?

Thanks! Steve Harrison
Amateur Radio Licensee of Ko0U