[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) my video system

>         I would like to hear from anyone recording meteors by using video
> techniques.

Ed Majden;

I am short of time so here's a brief synopsis of my video system.
Generation 2.5 MCP Intensifier+CCD, $3000 - A fellow named Mike Palermiti
in Florida put the system together for me which included f/1.0 transfer
optics to a low light sensitive B/W CCD (frame rate) camera. The frame
grabber ( in a 486/100Mhz PC) is a Control Vision Corp ($700) VL-512 vesa
local bus board. These are 1994 prices.  The intensifier hasn't changed
much in price.  Limiting stellar magnitude is 8-9 depending on sky
background with 12 degree field of view, drops to 4-5th with a 120 degree
FOV.  I have written an article that should be published in the next issue
of WGN that discusses issues in writing real-time meteor detection
software.  That system has been in operation since February capturing
meteors while I sleep.  More details in the article.

Pete Gural
pgural@trg1.saic.com