[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V1 #464

> From: NTZT04A@prodigy.com ( THOMAS T WOJACK)
> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 14:56:56, -0500
> Subject: (meteorobs) my video system
>
> Has anyone ever used photo-resistors/photo-transistors/solar
> cells/etc.  to record meteors?
>
> Jonathan

Hans Betlem and Hildo Mostert in The Netherlands used to operate a system
with a high performance, so-called photomultiplier tube (PMT). This is a
vacuum device that works with high voltages. This system could detect
meteors anywhere in the sky, with a limiting magnitude of +4 in the zenit.
Nowadays, simpler versions of this system are routinely run in parallel
with fish-eye cameras to record the occurrence time of fireballs during
automated operation.

From what I have heard phototransistor or photodiodes are too noisy for
meteor detection (mainly because the detector surface is much smaller).

Marc

--------
Marc de Lignie
Prins Hendrikplein 42                        Tel. +31 (70) 320 5673
NL-2264 SN  Leidschendam            Fax. +31 (70) 332 6477
The Netherlands                                E-mail: mcdelign@pidot net

Predicted progress always fails. Real progress is all the small
steps you realize to have made when looking back in time.
---------