[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Metorite showers in mid-April 1990 (fwd)

GWG Wrote:If it is a meteorite fall it is most likely not from any annual
>meteor shower,as most meteorites are associated with comets (except 3200
>Patheion,(That's Phaethon....but I only knew bacause I have the handbook
>in front of me :-> WTH) but it is probably an exhusted comet); not
>asteroids, which most meteorites are thought to originate from. However,
>some meteorites like Orguiel, and Murchisen, are thought to come from
>comets due to their high water content. Of course, it can be from an
>unknown, or new shower. I have not heard of any unusual activity on that
>date, but the annual April Lyrid shower was happening at that time.

	Wayne runs with the (dirty:->) snowball......
	Interestingly, the Lyrid radiant is nearly circumpolar, making it
perhaps a bit more likely. However, the association between the Lyrids and
comet Thatcher (C/1861 G1) seems quite strong, making a stony meteorite
unlikely to be from that source.However...........here's a thought.....
	Is anyone aware of any theoretical modeling that would suggest icy
"snowball" comets may be formed around a stony small asteroidal seed?
Perhaps a small Kuiper/Oort asteroid sweeps up all that snowy stuff during
it's travels in the outer solar system. It's just an idea that popped into
my head and seems plausible, if not likely. Any thoughts on the subject
anyone??

Wayne a wonderin'?