[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Anyone else see Xi Draconids?

Dear Steave,

The American Meteor Society (AMS) is currently establishing a network of
amateur operated radiometeor stations for continuous monitoring of the
incoming meteor flux through forward scatter techniques.  We currently have
three  fully calibrated and operational stations with others under
development.  The stations utilize a data logging computer to automatically
record desired parameters about each detected meteor event to floppy diskette.

At the recently held summer meeting of the American Astronomical Society
(AAS) we presented the first professional level scientific results from
this research.  The research currently has two aspects.  The first is the
study of radiometeor properties, such as power/duration/decay time constant
correlations, determination of population index and other distribution
factors, diurnal variations in echo characteristics, as well as several
other aspects of the radiometeor event.  The second area is the study of
meteor rate variations through Fourier and Wavelet techniques.  Not only
are these techniques proving to be quite interesting in the study of the
sporadic meteor flux, but also for shower studies as well.  The wavelet
technique can pull out minor shower activity as well as monitoring the
major showers.  We are also currently investigating the possible use of
visual observer data utilizing these new statistical techniques.

For more information, locate the Radiometeor Project link on the AMS home
page.  In addition, the home page contains a link to our Electronic
Circular, which recently outlined some of our current radiometeor work.
The home page is located at:

http://www.serve.com/meteors/

If you have any further questions about our work in this area, please feel
free to contact me.

Take care,

     Jim

James Richardson
Graceville, Florida
richardson@digitalexp.com

Operations Manager / Radiometeor Project Coordinator