[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Anyone else see Xi Draconids?

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Steve,

Thanks for your comments. If you could supply us with data for the month
of June that would be great. If you have data from previous years (for
June) that would also help. As you stated 15 minutes per day is better
than nothing.

As for these radiants "jumping around year to year" I don't believe this
is the case. I believe the June Lyrids have come and gone and that the
Xi Draconids have taken their place. Since the discovery of the June
Lyrids back in 1966 we have seen a gradual decline in rates. Today June
Lyrid rates are much less than one would expect for the sporadic
background. I don't believe that both showers were ever visible
concurrently at recognizable levels. It is quite possible that the Xi
Draconids have been around for several years but were only recognized
last year. We must recall that June is one of the least observe periods
of the year due to the lack of truly dark skies in Canada and Europe.
Most of those who do observe don't plot and face in a southerly
direction to view the annual activity from the Sagittarius/Ophiuchus
region.

I believe Xi Draconids are related to the June Lyrids and the radiant we
now see is a result of perturbations to the material we now encounter
each mid-June. The only proof I can offer at this time is the similarity
of the dates of maximum activity, velocity, and Right Ascension for the
two radiants. I am hoping that some of our European counterparts were
observing at this time last month and can help shed some light upon this
subject.

Bob Lunsford

IMO/ALPO