[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Anyone else see Xi Draconids?

Steve H. wrote:
>>>...radio observers: my impression is that June begins
the radio meteor "year" ....<<<
>>>My data will show a week of relatively poor reflections that suddenly
became
good again for several weeks, about when the Xi Draconids were being
discussed here. The characteristics of the new reflections were also
drastically different, being much shorter in duration but much more
"brilliant", indicating higher velocity. The number of reflections seemed
increase, but this observation might have been due to an increased
awareness
on my part due to accumulating some experience over the weeks that had
passed.<<<

Steve,

It's interesting, isn't it?

Do you have the IMO meteor shower calendar? It's helpful and includes a
list of daytime meteor shower radiants.

I can't comment on the Xi Draconids though often it is difficult to
distinguish a minor shower from the background sporadic flux, especially in
the dawn hours when normal daily sporadics are highest.

It is possible that some of your meteor reflections in June came from
either the June Arietids and zeta Perseids. These two showers coincide and
both are *major* meteor showers. It is interesting too in that their
radiant positions are fairly near one another in the sky. This early June
radio meteor activity is very prominent through the mid-afternoon.

Indeed, June is a dynamic month for radio meteor work.

Enjoy.

Tom Ashcraft
Santa Fe, New Mexico