[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) NAMN Fireball Report: June 19/20, 1997

******************************
North American Meteor Network
Fireball Reporting Form
******************************

SEND COMPLETED REPORTS TO: Mark Davis at MeteorObs@charlestondot net

DATE: 1997, June 19/20; TIME: 00h 25m U.T.

TOWN and STATE: Quincy, California, USA; ELEV. 3400 ft.

LONGITUDE: _________________ west;  LATITUDE: _________________ north

APPARENT PATH:
BEGIN: AZIMUTH = 225    ELEVATION = 30

END:   AZIMUTH = 225    ELEVATION = 00 (went below horizon)
North=360, East=90

FIREBALL DATA:
APPARENT MAGNITUDE: -6 to -9 m; DURATION: 3-4 sec.; COLOR: white & blue

FRAGMENTATION: very little

PERSISTENT TRAIN: n/a

VELOCITY SCALE NUMBER: 3
(Note that: 0=Stationary, 1=Very Slow, 2=Slow, 3=Medium, 4=Fast, 5=Very Fast)

SOUNDS: none

SOUND TIME LAPSE: n/a

Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings, etc. below.

I saw this huge (relative to a star, like ten times) thing fall from the
sky. It was just south of west. It was white and blue. It was a short and
thick instead of long and drawn out like some of the other meteors I have
seen. It had just a few things falling off of it. If I stuck my arm out in
front of me at about a 30 degree angle that is about where it started and it
went down behind a ridge, I live in the mountains, and then there was a
flash, not real bright but obvious. My friend saw it out of the corner of
her eye. (She and I had gone running after we got off of work at 1130 pm.) I
had my walkman earphones on without the music but I would swear that there
was a sound with the flash. I haven't been able to catch anything on the
radio and our newspaper only comes out on wednesdays so I haven't read
anything and I am VERY curious to find out something. I apologize
for my noviceness in this matter.
<END OF REPORT>