[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseids!

Well...I see Cathy had a good time with her recent observations. I too have
been observing and plotting the last two nights and will again tonight. On
the night of July 5/6 I found activity to be extremely slow...but last night
activity picked up considerably. I plotted everything and didn't pay any mind
to the locations of any radiants...I'll be doing that probably next week when
I do my reports and go over the plots. Last night did produce the brightest
meteor that I've seen all year...an estimated -8 to -12 magnitude (I'm
settling on -9 for my report though). I was caught flat footed when it
occurred. I was walking by my camera mount when I noticed this real bright
light off to the side. I recall saying something to the effect that "man does
that airplane have some bright lights" and made a squinty glance at a very
bright blue fireball. I believe it was a sporadic, but will have to look at
the plots. I also believe I may have photographed it. I looked thru my
camera's view finder and for the area where I've plotted the fireball on my
charts, I could see at the bottom of the frame. So...I may have gotten
lucky...will find out tomorrow when I develop the film...would have done so
today...but still got a nights worth of film left in the camera...no need
wasting film.
GeoZay