[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Another Fireball in S. Calif

Well...just got back from my third nite of meteor observing this week and was
once again treated to a nice brilliant fireball this morning. I gave it a
magnitude of -12. It was a slow 3 second mover. It gave me a chance to glance
down and notice shadows and all from the trees. A very bright white very much
like burning magnesium. It had 2 nice secondary bursts. At the end it just
burned out. I didn't hear any sounds at all. You can almost sense the
ablation process...pretty much like the one that Bob and I saw in 1992. I
also don't get the impression that any meteorites were dropped. It was
traveling somewhat in the opposite direction from the bright one I saw the
previous morning (-9mag). I get the impression that it might be a
Sagittarid...but not sure. Will have to check out my plots and look up the
radiant later next week. I don't think I caught this one on film. If I
did...I might have only caught the very end...but I don't feel too confident
on getting any of it. I'll be sending details out to Knofel in a week or two.

George Zay
Descanso, Calif.